Recently, I read a comment requesting I do an outfit post showcasing one of my new pairs of shoes and so here we have it!
It’s hard to see the shoes, but you can see that it goes nicely with this classy black and white striped dress, coordinated with a belt with gold embellishment at center.
About This Outfit:
[The Outfit]: Okay, I’m honestly not wearing anything all that fancy. The black and white striped dress is from Forever 21, the shoes are Charles by Charles David (recently purchased at TJ Maxx), and the belt is vintage I believe, and I honestly don’t remember when I bought this! I don’t own much vintage (unless it’s from my stylish mother’s closet that is), but I am a fan of vintage accessories because I know they are unique and can still look modernized.
Style Confession #1: I absolutely LOVE this belt, but can I tell you that I think this may only be my second time wearing it? And I’ve owned it for at least 3 years (yes, I’m wondering the same thing, how is that possible)! I actually had tried on a few belts before choosing this one at the very end, but this honestly REALLY completes this look for me. Although I have not worn the belt much, I’m happy it worked out perfectly with this ensemble. It’s amazing how you can own something and rediscover it at just the right fashion moments! ;)
[Where to wear this outfit]: Although I was wearing this to “work” (ah, how wonderful it is to be in such a glamourous industry), I think this look is also ideal for going out on a date, hanging out with friends for cocktails, going shopping, etc. It’s just so versatile because it’s so classic!
- As I said, the belt really completes this outfit and also gives it style personality. Also, without the belt, it would just be too boring staring at a black and white stripe dress and there NEEDED to be a visual “break-up” whether it be adding a belt to the center OR wearing a LONG necklace with an embellishment hanging.
Style Confession #2: I’m actually incredibly petite. I’m only about 5’1″…(I think 5 feet and 3/4 to be exact, but I always round up and say I’m 5’1″). HOWEVER, you wouldn’t really make that assumption based on this photo. Don’t I look at least 5’6″ here?! Just saying!
- This leads me to the next style note. For petite frames especially, or anyone that wants to give the visual illusion of height…you will need to wear something with a short hemline (above the knees) with heels. This instantly makes you look taller. Hence, why I am always wearing heels (in reality though, flats are uncomfortable for me) AND shorter bottoms.
- I have a huge tendency to wear a lot of black and white. The reason being they are opposite colors, which means they contrast. In styling, I am ALL about creating contrast (example: wearing a nude lip color and dark smokey eye, that’s contrast right there). The style element (as I call it) of contrasting, creates visual interest. It’s eye catching. There’s an art to contrasting. In clothing, I also love contrasting bright colors with dark colors for visual effects.
- I actually don’t tend to rock the preppy chic look all that often, especially something as simple as a black and white stripe dress. You can’t see the back of the dress, but that’s really what sold me…it’s slightly open with bows at the back! Puts a nice stylish spin to such a simple striped dress.
- Keep in mind that although the dress is quite simple in design, it’s the STYLING details that give it that extra edge. I feel like I can walk into a room with this look and instantly capture an audience and I didn’t have to dress like Lady Gaga [meaning extremely dramatic] to have this effect. Keep in mind that fashion statements can definitely be made in an understated way.
[FASHION for Thought]: When a person has great style, they automatically have what I like to call, “swagger.” People notice them. They carry themselves with such a heightened confidence and grace, that people just naturally can’t help but gravitate toward them because they have such a strong sense of who they are (and they’re not afraid to show it!) That’s why I’m so passionate about style. I think everyone has the full potential to have a sense of style with freedom to express it in any way possible. This ultimately gives the person that swagger.
In case you were wondering what the makeup looked like up-close…
[Hope you enjoyed the outfit and its simplicity! Any thoughts on my stylish notes?]