I thought this week’s challenge was brilliant. I love the inspiration based challenges that truly test the designers’ taste level (and quite literally this week may I add) and allow the designers to have to think outside the box to illustrate their creativity.
The Challenge: Create a look inspired by a gelato flavor in 6 hours (shortest amount of time for a challenge in Project Runway history)!
Guest Judges: Diane Von Furstenberg (iconic fashion designer) and Miranda Kerr (model) who will wear the winning design.
My Runway Review: (My brief notes taken while watching each designer’s look come down the runway in the order they walked in)
1- Mondo [cantaloupe]: Very modern with a strong fashion statement. I definitely saw the connection of the cantaloupe flavor reflected in the design of the dress.
2- Anthony [green tea]: Design a little weak, liked the soft blend of colors, top was abstract and interesting looking but did not like the bottom (too flowy, would have been better with more structure to compliment the top)
3- Kenley [passion fruit]: Too bright, not sure about the print selection, I don’t associate neon hot pink with passion fruit exactly, the silhouette and shape of the dress were nice, but a little too safe
4- Rami [kiwi]: Way too outlandish, lacked taste, this is NOT fashion, pretty much..[wtf is this!?!?]
5- Mila [milk and sour cherries]: Fabrics are too sheer, dress proportions do not enhance the figure of the model, what’s up with the heavy belt and the random placement? (it doesn’t match the style of the dress), this has styling issues
6- Jerrell [fruits of the forest]: I had to watch this twice as there was so much to examine in his design…overall, a little over-designed, too much going on at once, the print was not memorable, this look was nice (or passable I should say) but not my personal cup of tea
7- Kara [chocolate with cayenne pepper]: Not flattering whatsoever, model looks pregnant, the ruffles had nice movement, I liked the layered colors she chose, poor construction
8- Michael [grapefruit]: Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!, great fabric selection, beautiful color, smooth, luxurious, love the white necklace he choose with this look
9- April [blueberry]: Another complete disaster, her designs consistently lack a strong artistic expression, weak design, horrendous construction, poor styling (what was up with those earrings with that dress and hair?! YIKES!), I love cobalt blue but this specific shade of blue does NOT reflect blueberry gelato in my opinion (I would have chosen a soft, light blue)
10- Austin [vanilla madagascar]: So elegant, so beautiful, just a pretty look from head to toe, very soft and vanilla
My Final Thoughts:
Michael's winning design this week which was also my personal favorite. I love all his designs! Go Michael!
- I was THRILLED that Michael won his second challenge in a row. The moment they showed a quick glimpse of his sketch in the workroom towards the beginning of the episode, I was already drooling (ok, not really) over how magnificent his design was. I have always expressed how wickedly talented he is and I’m so happy to see that he is really shining on Project Runway All Stars.
- I was nervous Michael wasn’t going to win over the fact that the blush shade he chose was not “grapefruit” enough according to the judges’ critique but the color of the grapefruit gelato was very much a blush light pink which matched his fabric selection.
- I really did love Mondo’s design along with the inspiration behind it and knew it was down to his and Michael’s. I was actually really expecting the judges’ to choose his at the end but Michael’s really exempted a higher level of “taste” and that was ultimately what this challenge was all about.
- As much as I really don’t like admitting this (because it’s negative), I’m going to be completely honest: I cannot express enough how happy I was to see April go home this week (FINALLY). Have I not been right this ENTIRE time regarding her lack of experience and poor taste level?!
- As Joanna Coles stated to April in the workroom, “How could you have a fashion moment if you stick with what you’re comfortable with?” I couldn’t agree more, you need to challenge yourself and take risks!
[Your thoughts on this week's episode?]